Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Things happen!

Christmas and New Year is a good time to be my old bike.

The rear derailleur purchased from ebay arrived and is in fine condition. The jockey wheels will need replacing sooner or later but the chain spins fine on them at the moment.

Yesterday I purchased a Wipperman Connex 800 chain and its link size of 1/2" x 3/32" seems to fit well. The total chain length is almost spot on too so I've mounted it without removing any links, it will stay this way until this causes an issue.

The headset required a 7mm allen key which is apparently an odd size. Bunnings don't stock these so head straight to Repco if you don't want to waste 30mins wandering the aisles opening every socket and hex head set you come across.

So anyway, with a chain and rear derailleur I'm actually able to ride the bike around. And it is amazing! Quiet and rigid, not too big for me and an entirely different riding position to what I'm used to (a mountain bike). Also it is extremely dangerous as I don't have a brake and have been using my feet on the road to stop it. I guess it is kind of like an even more dangerous fixed gear bike.

Here she is with a front brake I was testing.

To Do
Buy:
-Nuovo Record front derailleur
-Nuovo Record shifters
-Mafac brake levers
-Brake and gear cable
-White bar tape

Do:
-Glue tubular tires on (apparently a long long process)
-bolt everything else on
-RIDE IT. Get it really dirty and covered in sweat.

No comments:

Post a Comment